This weekend has seen one terror attack in Stockholm, and one possible attempt of terrorist act in Oslo.
At 14:53 on Friday, police was alerted that a truck ran into a crowd of people on Drottninggatan in central Stockholm, near the department store Åhléns. Police quickly launched a preliminary investigation into suspected terrorist crimes.
Just after 20:30 on Friday evening, the police announced that they’d arrested one man, that “behaved so he attracted attention.”
The man who was arrested in Märsta on Friday evening is from Uzbekistan and is 39 years old. He has been arrested on suspicion of terrorist offenses by murder. It is the same man who the police believe was driving the truck. The 39-year-old appeared in SÄPO (Security Service) intelligence last year. These were followed, but led to no where, according to the Security Service.
Rakhmat Akilov uploaded propaganda films from IS/Daesh on his Facebook profile and liked a picture of bloody people, taken seconds after the explosion at the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. He’s also expressed admiration for IS and other terrorist groups.
Another person was arrested on Sunday morning, also on suspicion of terrorist offenses by murder. In addition to the two arrested, a number of people have been taken in for questioning.
At Sunday’s press conference, the police told that the suspect should’ve been deported from Sweden earlier, but that the deportation couldn’t be enforced as the he disappeared underground. While applying for residence permit, he used the name Rahmatjon Kurbonov.
According to the verdict, there were large gaps in the story Akilov told the Migration Board. There was no written documentation and the verbal story contained “contradictory information”. His reasons for staying in Sweden with residence- and work permits were that he was “in need of protection,” and because of “particularly distressing circumstances”. The Migration Court observed that the situation in Uzbekistan is not “so serious that it gives the right to residency.” Instead, it must then assess whether there is a need for protection or not.
Crucial to the assessment, in turn, is that his story is perceived as “credible”.
During the Migration Board’s investigation, Akilov said that he for nine days in May 2014 had been detained in Uzbekistan and subjected to beatings and “psychological torture and that he lost the notion of time and space.”
Three months after the Migration Court rejected Rakhmat Akilovs application for residence permit, he had four weeks to leave Sweden voluntarily. Instead, he disappears and is arrested only four months later, after the terrorist attack on Drottninggatan.
A suspicious device was found in the driver’s compartment of the truck. According to police sources, there should have been a bag with explosives.
Nine people were being treated at various hospitals in Stockholm on Sunday afternoon. Four of them are seriously injured, two in intensive care. Five people are slightly injured.
A total of four people died, one of them in hospital on Friday evening. Seven patients, including a child, had been sent home. The identity has been established in three of the four deceased. Two Swedes, one Belgian and a British man.
On Friday, there were also rumours of shootings at various locations in Stockholm. This was denied later by the police.
The truck used belongs to the beverage manufacturer Spendrups. The truck was stolen when a delivery was made to a restaurant.
The terror threat level remains at three, as it has done since 2010. Level three means that there is a “high risk” of terrorist crimes.
Police confirm 17-year-old who was arrested in Oslo had bomb
Security Service is now raising the threat level in Norway. The suspected bomb found in Oslo last night was a real bomb, states the Security Service. The suspect is a 17-year-old boy who arrived as asylum seekers from Russia.
At a press conference, the Norwegian security police PST stated that the explosives had “limited potential.”
Security Service raises the level of threat the next two months in Norway because of the bomb discovery. Police are now investigating whether the 17-year-old, who was living in Oslo, may have been helped by others.
The 17-year-old’s lawyer confirms the Verdens Gang that there is a suspicion of crime against the client.
The apprehended boy was known to the security service PST before. According to sources, he should have expressed support for the terrorist organization IS, writes VG citing sources.
– It is unclear whether the 17-year-old had plans to carry out a terrorist attack, says PST Chief Benedicte Bjørnland.
A large area in the district of Grønland (Oslo) was sealed off on Saturday evening after the suspected bomb was found. The boy was discovered by a police patrol and behaved in a way that got the policemen’s attention. He was then holding the suspicious object.
A bomb team was called to the scene and were able to carry out a controlled detonation of the object.
– We suspect that it is a construction that was supposed to be detonated, but at the same time it seems like it’s an object that does not have high damage potential, said Marita Aune at the police to Nettavisen.